With its black sand surf beaches, tranquil harbour and laid back vibe, Raglan is the perfect place to escape to this summer. From kayaking, kite surfing, canyoning, and sunset cruises, to cycleways, waterfalls and full on hikes or short walks, the rugged West Coast town has a smorgasbord of activities to entertain.
As well as being an international surfing hotspot and home to one of the longest left hand surf breaks in the world, Raglan is also home to a number of stunning accommodation options, extreme rock climbing, adventure sport options, family fun and scenic wonders.
• Take a hike: Mt Karioi is a stunning forest-clad extinct volcano, surrounded by lush Waikato farmland on one side, and the Tasman Sea on the other. The two available hikes reach the mountain’s summit. On a clear day you can see Mt Tongariro, Mt Ngaruhoe, Mt Ruapehu and Mt Taranaki.
• An accessible short walk: Bridal Veil Falls plunges 55m and is a popular walking track also known as Waireinga Falls. Located 15 mins from the town centre near Te Uku wind farm.
• Rock Climbing and Canyoning: Adventure seekers will love venturing into the stunning caves and waterways with Raglan Rock. From rock climbing, abseiling, canyoning and jumping down waterfalls.
• Take a surf lesson: Learn to surf in an iconic surf destination with Raglan Surf School. Catering to beginners all the way to experienced surfers looking to hone their skills.
• Take a cruise at sunset: Wahine Moe Sunset Cruises offer a beautiful cruise around the Raglan Harbour at sunset complete with fish’n’chips on board
• Mt Karioi Loop Cycleway – offering a challenging half-day ride with views of the coast and surrounding farmland, starting and finishing in Raglan
• Pipiwharauroa Trail – cycle through the Te Uku wind farm with a chance to see the 137m high wind turbines up close along with rugged terrain with 360 views over the region
• Mt Karioi – 2.5-3 hours one way from carpark to lookout
• Bridal Veil Falls – 10 mins to top lookout, 20 mins one way to bottom of staircase
• Mt Karioi Loop cycleway – 45km track
• Pipiwharauroa Trail cycleway – 18km ride
GOOD TO KNOW
• Accommodation options include Solscape Eco Retreat for unique eco style accommodation, Kopua Holiday Park for family style accommodation and Karioi Lodge for beach-side dorm-style stays. For more options see http://www.hamiltonwaikato.com/accommodation/all-accommodation/?region=Raglan
For more information on thing to see and do and where to stay in Raglan this summer, visit http://www.hamiltonwaikato.com/destinations/raglan/