Take the challenge and go green
I get asked all the time what skin care I use and how I have such a clear complexion. The truth is I don’t use any skin care. Apart from a bit of a scrub with an face cloth and the occasional dab of coconut oil, I know skin care is more about what you put IN your body, than ON your body.
So what’s my real secret to great skin? Green smoothies! I’ve been drinking them for nearly ten years, long before they became trendy on instagram.
Any time my sisters or I got a spot my mother would say to go drink a green smoothie, and that’s what we did.
– help flush out the toxins that cause those horrible pimples
– help to clear rashes and other blemishes
– help you sleep better
– feel less stressed which can help with depression and anxiety
– increases concentration and focus
– make you feel more energized than an energy drink would
If you don’t believe me, take the 21-day green juice challenge.
Drink a green juice first thing in the morning along with as much water as you can drink during the day, and you will be amazed at the results.
If you are serious about clearing up your skin; avoid sugar, fake junk foods, especially fizzy drinks, and takeaways as these can all clog your skin and give you acne. Don’t forget to take a before and after photo, or even take a daily selfie to log your progress. I’d love to hear your feedback so feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also follow me on instagram @ITSZOEGIBB
1) It’s really important to have a high powered blender as gritty bits of spinach between your teeth can be legitimately awkward.
The idea is to have 60 percent fruit and 40 percent greens. (volume not weight), but if you are really fussy and have a sweet tooth, begin with 80 percent fruit and 20 percent greens. I recommend starting with mild greens such as spinach. Depending on your body, less fruit and more greens may suit you better.
2) Try not to have the same green several days in a row
3) Use only fresh organic ingredients
4) Always drink with plenty of fresh water, especially when you first start drinking green smoothies, as you will detox.
5) For healing benefits aim to drink two glasses a day. One if you are under 13 years old.
6) START SLOWLY – If you aren’t used to having a very clean diet starting slowly is very important, Start with a ¼ to ½ a glass per day to build up your tolerance.
This is my favourite smoothie, its quick, easy and fresh. The mint is so delicious and helps cut through the taste of very dark greens like kale making it easier to swallow in large quantities.
1 large handful of kale or spinach leaves
2 whole kiwifruit, skin on
1 small ripe banana (optional)
1 organic apple
1 large handful of fresh mint leaves
500 mls of water or coconut water
1. Place the water in bottom of the blender and top with remaining ingredients
2. Blend on high for 60 seconds or until smooth and creamy
OPTION: You can put a little maple syrup onto a flat plate and then dip the rim of your glass into it, then onto a plate with chia seed to create a chia seed rim. They give you a protein and omega 3 boost to help your brain across the day.